INTERVISTA A "PSYCHO" MIKE RAHO (INTERVIEW WITH "PSYCHO" MIKE RAHO)

Foto Mike Raho 



 "Psycho" Mike Raho lotta in Italia da circa 25 anni, è una vera enciclopedia del pro wrestling e del catch as catch can wrestling, la disciplina reale da cui è nato il pro wrestling. E' stato un pioniere del catch as cacth can wrestling in Italia, ha lottato dalla Val d'Aosta alla Sicilia, in molte prestigiose nazioni europee e in Giappone.

Ecco le domande:

1.) Sei nato nel 1978 e sei stato uno dei pionieri della rinascita del pro wrestling in Italia, raccontaci il tuo percorso di formazione in Italia e all'estero. Chi sono stati i tuoi più grandi maestri?

Risposta: Da Bambino fino ai 18 anni sono cresciuto tra Italia, Singapore, Thailandia ed Indonesia, ho giocato a calcio dai pulcini fino a 17 anni ma la mia vera passione è sempre stato il Pro wrestling. La mia formazione è iniziata con qualche sporadico allenamento di Freestyle Wrestling a Singapore e poi più seriamente con la lotta Greco-Romana a Vicenza durante l'Università. 
Il vero inizio però è stato nel 2000 quando mi sono trasferito a Londra per circa un anno proprio per imparare il Pro wrestling. La mia formazione londinese è passata attraverso varie scuole e maestri tra cui Frank Rimer, Tony Scarlo, Mel Stuart, Alex Shane, Mark Sloan ecc.. In quell'anno ho imparato le basi e i "fundamentals" del Pro wrestling.
A Londra ho anche partecipato al mio primo seminar con un Pro wrestler internazionale, "The fallen angel" Christopher Daniels. Ho poi continuato ad aggiornarmi con altri seminars anche dopo che sono tornato a vivere in Italia nel 2001, e continuo a partecipare a seminars anche oggi che sono semi-ritirato. 
Nel Wrestling non si smette mai di studiare ed imparare, ed io ho avuto la fortuna di viaggiare e partecipare a tanti seminars negli anni, imparando da nomi importanti come Samy Zayn (che allora si chiamava El Generico), Raven, Tajiri, Nigel McGuinness, Marty Jones, Johnny Saint, Scotty too hotty, Santino Marella, Mike Quackenbush, Joe Legend, Michael Kovac, Bambikiller, Sinn Bodhi, e molti altri.
Quello che però ha cambiato totalmente il mio modo di vedere e fare Pro wrestling, è stata la mia ricerca nel passato ed il percorso formativo nel Catch Wrestling che ho iniziato nel 2008. Da allora ho viaggiato tra USA, UK, Canada e Giappone (organizzando anche seminars in Italia) per allenarmi con leggende quali Billy Robinson, Josh Barnett, Frank Shamrock, Wade Schalles, Joe Malenko, Yuko Miyato.
Per non farmi mancare nulla ho fatto anche qualche allenamento con il pluricampione Olimpico Vincenzo Maenza. Tra i maestri italiani devo anche nominare Fabio Tumazzo, da cui ho imparato tanto.

2.) Nel 2008 hai preso contatti con Jake Shannon, un famoso allenatore di catch wrestling americano, tramite il quale hai conosciuto Billy Robinson, leggendario pro wrestler e catch wrestler, che è stato tuo allenatore. Perché hai deciso di imparare sia il pro wrestling work che il wrestling vero? Quali vantaggi ti ha dato la pratica del catch wrestling nel pro wrestling? Ci racconti qualcosa su Billy Robinson?

Risposta:
Sono arrivato al Catch Wrestling perchè a me piace studiare la storia delle mie passioni, studiando la storia del Pro wrestling e andando abbastanza indietro nel tempo inevitabilmente si arriva al Catch.
Tra tutti i maestri/allenatori/coach da cui ho imparato, Billy Robinson è sicuramente quello che considero il mio principale maestro. Quando ho iniziato ad allenarmi con lui era già abbastanza vecchio e fisicamente distrutto da una vita sui ring di tutto il mondo. Era un allenatore molto duro e severo, che prendeva il suo lavoro molto seriamente.
Billy era anche molto old school, e non posso negare che mi è capitato a volte di ricevere qualche bastonata dal suo fidato bastone da passeggio che usava per riuscire a camminare. A volte lo usava per punzecchiarti e correggere la tua posizione, ma quando si incazzava urlava e te lo lanciava proprio addosso, bei tempi!
Quello che ricordo più di Billy era la sua conoscenza enciclopedica delle tecniche e concetti del lottato, la sua attenzione a quei piccoli ed importantissimi dettagli che ti permettono di migliorare ogni mossa, tecnica e concetto, e il suo amore e passione per la lotta.
Il fatto che Billy è stato sia un leggendario Pro wrestler che Catch Wrestler mi ha aiutato tantissimo nell'implementare il mondo shoot del Catch e trasportarlo per poi integrarlo nel mio personale stile di Prowrestling. 
Ricordo ancora la mia felicità il giorno che mi ha dato l'OK per inserire nel mio repertorio il suo double-underhook suplex e soprattutto la double-wristlock, la stessa mossa che aveva precedentemente passato ed insegnato al suo migliore allievo e leggendario "Gracie hunter" Kazushi Sakuraba, che ancora oggi è il mio lottatore di MMA preferito di sempre.
Billy amava anche divertirsi, ricordo parecchie serate con fiumi di birra e vino ad ascoltarlo mentre raccontava storie dalla sua carriera, Jake Shannon scherzosamente paragonava Billy ad una Rockstar della lotta per quanto gli piaceva divertirsi e fare festa, Jake era anche sorpreso dal fatto che io ero una delle poche persone che riusciva a seguire Billy e tenergli testa quando si parlava di consumare alcoolici, ma erano altri tempi in cui ero molto più incosciente ed immaturo! 

3.) Tra i pro wrestler italiani degli ultimi 25 anni sei l'unico addestrato seriamente nella lotta vera? 

Risposta:
A questa domanda non posso risponderti perchè non conosco tutti i Pro wrestler Italiani, ma sono sicurissimo che ce ne sono diversi che hanno un background nel Judo, BJJ, lotta e/o altro. Tra quelli che conosco Vito Rea per esempio è stato campione di Pankration, il mio allievo Mariel era anche un ottimo lottatore di Greco-Romana, Mr. Excellent è molto valido nel Grappling, e Gianluca Palombi è un grandissimo atleta nel BJJ, sono sicuro che ce ne siano anche molti altri!

4.) Vista la tua indubbia preparazione tecnico - atletica nel pro wrestling e nel catch wrestling credi che la tua altezza di 170 cm ti abbia impedito di avere una grande carriera nel pro wrestling all'estero?

Risposta:
Domanda difficile, sicuramente il tipo di fisico accettabile per il Prowrestling è cambiato tantissimo negli ultimi 25 anni, al giorno d'oggi è sicuramente più facile anche per noi "piccoletti".
C'è poi da dire che nel nostro mondo a volte serve anche un pizzico di fortuna, nel senso che spesso serve trovarsi nel posto giusto nel momento giusto ed essere notati dalla persona giusta, poi ovviamente devi avere anche il talento. Per avere il vero successo (e per successo io intendo guadagnare abbastanza da vivere solo di Prowrestling) bisogna andare via dall'Italia, e spesso anche dall'Europa. 
Sicuramente (soprattutto una ventina di anni fa) avrei dovuto trasferirmi all'estero per provare a raggiungere quei livelli, ma nel 2005 io sono diventato padre, e visto che la storia con la madre di mia figlia è subito finita male, non mi sarei mai sognato di trasferirmi oltre oceano e abbandonare mia figlia in Italia per inseguire il mio sogno. Così ho deciso di ridimensionare il mio sogno personale e restare in Italia, cosa di cui non mi pento affatto, anzi. 
Ho perso mia mamma quando ero piccolo e mio padre era sempre in giro per il mondo per lavoro, quel mio passato mi ha poi portato a decidere di essere più presente nella vita di mia figlia. Essere presente nella vita di Alice voleva anche dire weekend alterni a casa a fare il papà, e ovviamente questa scelta (di cui sono felice ed orgoglioso!) ha influito parecchio anche nella mia carriera di wrestler, nessun promoter giustamente può puntare e spingere titoli su un lottatore che non è sempre disponibile a dare la sua presenza.
Direi che per me è stata una questione di scelte e decisioni di vita, ma non ho rimpianti, assolutamente, ed ora che mia figlia è adulta e ha la sua vita independente io sono felicissimo di essere stato presente (facevo Treviglio-Vicenza anche 3-4 giorni a settimana per stare con lei) quando lei era piccola e mentre cresceva. 
Come in tutte le altre cosa della mia vita, ho sempre fatto tutto a modo mio. 

5.) In tanti anni quanti pro wrestler e catch wrestler di livello mondiale hai portato in Italia?

Risposta:
Billy Robinson, Josh Barnett, Wade Schalles, Frank Shamrock, (tramite Scientific Wrestling Italia di Enrico Sabadini), Joe Malenko, Marty Jones, Johnny Saint, Heddi Karaoui. 

6.) Raccontaci di quando hai portato Josh Barnett in Italia, che è stato uno dei più grandi fighter di sempre nelle MMA, uno dei più grandi catch wrestler di sempre ed anche pro wrestler di grande successo. E' stato emozionante allenarsi con una leggenda vivente come lui?

Risposta:
Josh è un personaggio! Un gigante e assolutamente un Maestro dell'arte del combattimento. Catch, Pro wrestling, BJJ, Bare-Knuckle Boxing, il suo soprannome (War Machine) lo descrive perfettamente! Una persona professionale e intensa, abbiamo anche un'età simile e passioni condivise (Catch, Pro wrestling, Heavy Metal, fumetti) quindi mi sono trovato molto bene con lui. 
Ti assicuro che in allenamento stare sotto di lui con i suoi 112 kg (e lui il suo peso sa usarlo come un'arma) era una vera tortura infernale!  

7.) Cosa pensi della storia del pro wrestling e di chi e come la diffonde in Italia e nel mondo? Consigli di studiarla a chi pratica o vuole praticare la disciplina?

Risposta:
Sono un'amante della storia in generale, ma mi rendo conto che pochi wrestler italiani sono interessati a studiarla seriamente. Ovviamente io consiglio di studiarla, perché anche negli incontri degli anni '50 e successivi decenni si possono trovare delle vere chicche di tecniche e spot che sono adattabilissimi anche al Pro wrestling moderno. Lo consiglio anche per diversificare il proprio stile, visto che molti giovani fanno praticamente tutti le stesse cose. 
Sinceramente consiglierei di studiare il passato soprattutto per capire ed imparare bene il "selling" che a mio parere è un'arte che purtroppo sta sparendo.
Sui divulgatori della storia penso che ci sia una nicchia di appassionati studiosi storici che fanno un ottimo lavoro, ognuno a modo suo.

8.) Come vedi il tuo presente e futuro nel mondo del Catch wrestling e del Pro wrestling?

Se devo essere sincero, avrei dovuto ritirarmi dal Pro wrestling nel 2019 dopo la frattura alla vertebra C5 subita sul ring. Dopo quasi un anno di pausa e riabilitazione sono tornato a lottare regolarmente fino al 2023 dove un infortunio alla schiena mi ha portato a passare un'estate bloccato a letto con una veloce perdita di quasi 20 kg e danni al sistema nervoso. Ora salgo ancora sul ring saltuariamente ma riesco a fare solo match come Royal Rumble oppure 3 vs 3 in modo da salvaguardarmi. Ho conosciuto troppi vecchi wrestler fisicamente completamente distrutti e questo mi ha fatto pensare molto sul mio futuro.
Sto gradualmente passando al ruolo di manager e allenatore, fare il manager mi permette di aiutare le nuove leve e allo stesso tempo di continuare a fare parte dello spettacolo ed interagire con il pubblico.
La mia vera passione al giorno d'oggi però e nel ruolo di allenatore, amo insegnare e amo integrare le mie conoscenze di Catch e inserirle contaminando il Pro wrestling Italiano con il mio know-how che ritengo unico in Italia.
Ovviamente continuerò a studiare, migliorare e partecipare a seminars di grandi lottatori per imparare sempre di più.
E chissà magari riuscire anche a fare un ultimo retirement match 1 vs 1.

Per il Catch invece continuerò a studiarlo ed insegnarlo, magari organizzando anche altri seminars per portare in Italia i migliori Coach di Catch.

Il mio viaggio continua.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Photo Mike Raho

"Psycho" Mike Raho has been wrestling in Italy for around 25 years. He is a true encyclopedia of pro wrestling and catch-as-catch-can wrestling, the real wrestling discipline from which pro wrestling originated. He was a pioneer of the revival of catch-as-catch-can wrestling in Italy, wrestling from Valle d'Aosta to Sicily, in many prestigious European countries, and in Japan.

Here are the questions:

1.) You were born in 1978 and were one of the pioneers of the revival of pro wrestling in Italy. Tell us about your training in Italy and abroad. Who were your greatest teachers?

Answer: From childhood until I was 18, I grew up between Italy, Singapore, Thailand, and Indonesia. I played soccer from the youth teams until I was 17, but my real passion was always pro wrestling. My training began with some occasional freestyle wrestling sessions in Singapore and then, more seriously, with Greco-Roman wrestling in Vicenza during university.

The real beginning, however, was in 2000, when I moved to London for about a year specifically to learn pro wrestling. My training in London took place through various schools and teachers, including Frank Rimer, Tony Scarlo, Mel Stuart, Alex Shane, Mark Sloan, and others. During that year I learned the basics and fundamentals of pro wrestling.

In London I also attended my first seminar with an international pro wrestler, "The Fallen Angel" Christopher Daniels. I continued training and attending seminars after returning to live in Italy in 2001, and I still attend seminars today, even though I am semi-retired.

In wrestling, you never stop studying and learning, and I have been fortunate enough to travel and attend many seminars over the years, learning from important names such as Sami Zayn, who was known as El Generico at the time, Raven, Tajiri, Nigel McGuinness, Marty Jones, Johnny Saint, Scotty 2 Hotty, Santino Marella, Mike Quackenbush, Joe Legend, Michael Kovac, Bambikiller, Sinn Bodhi, and many others.

What completely changed the way I see and practice pro wrestling, however, was my research into the past and the training path in catch wrestling that I began in 2008. Since then, I have traveled to the USA, UK, Canada, and Japan, also organizing seminars in Italy, to train with legends such as Billy Robinson, Josh Barnett, Frank Shamrock, Wade Schalles, Joe Malenko, and Yuko Miyato.

To leave no stone unturned, I also did some training with multiple Olympic champion Vincenzo Maenza. Among my Italian teachers, I must also mention Fabio Tumazzo, from whom I learned a great deal.

2.) In 2008 you got in touch with Jake Shannon, a famous American catch wrestling coach, through whom you met Billy Robinson, the legendary pro wrestler and catch wrestler who became your coach. Why did you decide to learn both pro wrestling and real wrestling? What advantages did practicing catch wrestling give you in pro wrestling? Can you tell us something about Billy Robinson?

Answer: I came to catch wrestling because I like studying the history of the things I am passionate about. When you study the history of pro wrestling and go far enough back in time, you inevitably arrive at catch wrestling.

Among all the teachers, trainers, and coaches I have learned from, Billy Robinson is definitely the one I consider my main teacher. When I started training with him, he was already quite old and physically destroyed by a lifetime spent in rings all over the world. He was a very tough and strict coach who took his work extremely seriously.

Billy was also very old school, and I cannot deny that sometimes I received a few whacks from his trusted walking stick, which he used to help himself walk. Sometimes he used it to poke you and correct your position, but when he got angry, he would actually throw it at you. Those were the days!

What I remember most about Billy was his encyclopedic knowledge of grappling techniques and concepts, his attention to those small but extremely important details that allow you to improve every move, technique, and concept, and his love and passion for wrestling.

The fact that Billy had been both a legendary pro wrestler and a catch wrestler helped me enormously in incorporating the shoot world of catch wrestling and then transferring and integrating it into my personal pro wrestling style.

I still remember how happy I was the day he gave me the OK to add his double-underhook suplex to my repertoire, and especially the double wristlock, the same move he had previously passed on and taught to his best student and legendary "Gracie hunter" Kazushi Sakuraba, who is still my favorite MMA fighter of all time.

Billy also loved having fun. I remember many evenings with rivers of beer and wine, listening to him tell stories from his career. Jake Shannon jokingly compared Billy to a rock star of wrestling because of how much he enjoyed having fun and partying. Jake was also surprised that I was one of the few people who could keep up with Billy and hold my own when it came to drinking alcohol. But those were different times, when I was much more reckless and immature!

3.) Among Italian pro wrestlers of the last 25 years, are you the only one who has been seriously trained in real wrestling?

Answer: I cannot answer that question because I don't know all the Italian pro wrestlers, but I am absolutely certain that there are several who have backgrounds in judo, BJJ, wrestling, and/or other disciplines.

Among those I know, for example, Vito Rea was a Pankration champion, my student Mariel was also an excellent Greco-Roman wrestler, Mr. Excellent is very good at grappling, and Gianluca Palombi is a great BJJ athlete. I am sure there are many others as well!

4.) Given your undeniable technical and athletic preparation in pro wrestling and catch wrestling, do you think your height of 170 cm prevented you from having a great pro wrestling career abroad?

Answer: Difficult question. The type of physique considered acceptable for pro wrestling has certainly changed enormously over the last 25 years. Nowadays, it is definitely easier for us "little guys" as well.

There is also the fact that in our world, sometimes you need a little bit of luck. In other words, you often need to be in the right place at the right time and be noticed by the right person. Then, of course, you also need talent.

To achieve real success—and by success I mean earning enough to make a living solely from pro wrestling—you have to leave Italy, and often Europe as well.

Certainly, especially about twenty years ago, I should have moved abroad to try to reach those levels. But in 2005 I became a father, and since my relationship with my daughter's mother ended badly very quickly, I would never have dreamed of moving overseas and abandoning my daughter in Italy to pursue my dream.

So I decided to scale back my personal dream and stay in Italy, something I absolutely do not regret. Quite the opposite.

I lost my mother when I was young, and my father was always traveling around the world for work. That past led me to decide that I wanted to be more present in my daughter's life.

Being present in Alice's life also meant spending alternate weekends at home being a father, and obviously this choice—which I am happy and proud of—had a major impact on my wrestling career as well. No promoter can reasonably build around and push titles on a wrestler who is not always available to make appearances.

I would say that, for me, it was a matter of life choices and decisions. But I have absolutely no regrets. Now that my daughter is an adult and has her own independent life, I am extremely happy that I was there for her when she was little and while she was growing up. I used to travel from Treviglio to Vicenza three or four days a week just to be with her.

As with everything else in my life, I have always done things my own way.

5.) Over the years, how many world-class pro wrestlers and catch wrestlers have you brought to Italy?

Answer: Billy Robinson, Josh Barnett, Wade Schalles, Frank Shamrock, (thanks to Scientific Wrestling on Enrico Sabadini), Joe Malenko, Marty Jones, Johnny Saint, and Heddi Karaoui.

6.) Tell us about when you brought Josh Barnett to Italy. He has been one of the greatest fighters of all time in MMA, one of the greatest catch wrestlers of all time, and also a highly successful pro wrestler. Was it exciting to train with a living legend like him?

Answer: Josh is quite a character! A giant and absolutely a Master of the art of combat. Catch, pro wrestling, BJJ, bare-knuckle boxing—his nickname, "War Machine," describes him perfectly!

He is a professional and intense person. We are also around the same age and share several passions—catch wrestling, pro wrestling, heavy metal, comics—so I got along very well with him.

I can assure you that being underneath him during training, with his 112 kg—and he knows how to use his weight as a weapon—was a true infernal torture!

7.) What do you think about the history of pro wrestling and about those who spread and promote that history in Italy and around the world? Do you recommend studying it to people who practice or want to practice the discipline?

Answer: I am a lover of history in general, but I realize that very few Italian wrestlers are interested in studying it seriously.

Obviously, I recommend studying it because even in matches from the 1950s and subsequent decades you can find real gems in terms of techniques and spots that can easily be adapted to modern pro wrestling.

I also recommend it as a way of diversifying your own style, since many young wrestlers practically do all the same things.

Honestly, I would especially recommend studying the past in order to understand and properly learn "selling," which in my opinion is an art that is unfortunately disappearing.

As for those who spread and promote wrestling history, I think there is a niche of passionate historians and researchers who do excellent work, each in their own way.

8.) How do you see your present and future in the world of catch wrestling and pro wrestling?

Answer: If I have to be honest, I should have retired from pro wrestling in 2019 after suffering a C5 vertebra fracture in the ring.

After almost a year away from wrestling and rehabilitation, I returned to wrestling regularly until 2023, when a back injury left me bedridden for an entire summer, accompanied by a rapid loss of almost 20 kg and damage to my nervous system.

I still get into the ring occasionally, but I can only do matches such as Royal Rumbles or 3-on-3 matches in order to protect myself.

I have met too many old wrestlers who are physically completely broken down, and that has made me think a lot about my future.

I am gradually moving into the roles of manager and coach. Being a manager allows me to help the younger generation while also continuing to be part of the show and interact with the audience.

My real passion nowadays, however, is coaching. I love teaching, and I love integrating my knowledge of catch wrestling and incorporating it into Italian pro wrestling, contaminating it with my know-how, which I believe is unique in Italy.

Obviously, I will continue studying, improving, and attending seminars with great wrestlers so that I can keep learning more and more.

And who knows, maybe I might even manage to have one last retirement match, one-on-one.

As for catch wrestling, I will continue studying and teaching it, perhaps also organizing more seminars to bring the best catch wrestling coaches to Italy.

My journey continues.

Commenti

Post popolari in questo blog

INTERVISTA AL WRESTLER ITALIANO KARIM BRIGANTE (INTERVIEW WITH ITALIAN WRESTLER KARIM BRIGANTE)

1890 – 1919 LE NAZIONI DOMINANTI NEL WRESTLING. (1890 - 1919 THE MOST DOMINANT NATIONS IN PRO WRESTLING)